Re: calling main_quit from signal_connect - is it possible/legal ?

On Nov 23, 2008, at 5:27 PM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

Other than lack of decorations the 'popup' window seems to solve the
problem - I hide the main window and show the 'popup' one, so there are no
events to be registered by widgets since there are no widgets.

Unresponsive UIs, with no progress indication and no Cancel button, are a horrible, horrible thing. Your users will despise you.

You can still fork your app to have the main work run in another process, and communicate progress info to the other process, so allow pulsing a progress bar and watching for the user to hit a "Cancel" button. The subprocess is preferable to a thread here because the cancel action can be simply "kill $child".

--
Sallah!  I said no camels!  That's five camels!  Can't you count?
  -- Indiana Jones