Re: Invoking[Fork and exec] a new script from main GUI, freezes parent UI application....

On 4/19/07, Emmanuele Bassi < ebassi gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 13:51 +0530, Ashwin Ramachandran wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have an application, in which there is a menu item to display a log
> window. This log[textview] window shows all the log debugs collected
> so far from the application. All the log debugs are written to a file
> by the main application and this text window displays the contents of
> that log file.
>
> Currently, whenever the menu item is clicked, I am forking and execing
> a script to display this text window.
> However, whenever the menu item is clicked, I observe that my main UI
> freezes.

you might want to look at the mailing list archives and at the FAQ,
specifically at these two entries:

   http://live.gnome.org/GTK2-Perl/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#main-loop
   http://live.gnome.org/GTK2-Perl/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#io-poll

Thanks Emmanuele for your inputs. I actually checked this part and one of muppet's mails
on the list: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-perl-list/2007-January/msg00063.html.

It is due to the above reasons, that I had decided to go for a fork and exec. I actually exepected
that due to fork, the main event loop processing of the parent UI should happen. However,
from what I can observe, it looks like the parent UI gets frozen and its main event loop does not
get processed.

I am actually doing the reading from the log file and displaying on the log text window, from the exec'ed script log_glade_gtk2.pl [which is mentioned in the code extract].

Thanks
Ashwin