Re: Gtk2::GLExt build problems

On Jun 2, 2006, at 5:07 PM, Mark Glines wrote:

I'm having some difficulty using Gtk2::GLExt-0.90.

Be warned that this module has not been touched since Oct '04. I don't recall with what version of gtkglext it was developed.

Makefile.PL doesn't succeed, because Glib::MakeHelper->do_pod_files
(@xs_files) barfs.  It says:

Including ApiDoc pod...
not a valid file descriptor at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i686-linux-thread-multi/Glib/ ParseXSDoc.pm
line 105

That line is

                store_fd $parser->{xspods}, select;

which attempts to write the data collected for pod generation with Storable. The immediate question is "why would that give you an invalid file descriptor?"

What version of Storable do you have?

As a workaround, if you set FORCE_DATA_DUMPER=1 in the environment when running Makefile.PL, Glib::MakeHelper::do_pod_files() should fall back to using Data::Dumper instead of Storable. We switched to Storable earlier this year to reduce the outrageous memory consumption of documentation generation on Gtk2; however, Gtk2::GLExt is pretty small, so there should be no problems.

When installed, your examples/example.pl.sdl script runs, but it emits a
couple of warnings.

Prototype mismatch: sub main::GL_NICEST: none vs () at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/constant.pm line 103.
Prototype mismatch: sub main::GL_COMPILE: none vs () at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/constant.pm line 103.

Turns out SDL::OpenGL *does* export those two constants, at least the
version on this box (sdl-perl-2.1.3) does.

That should be pretty harmless, although it's annoying.

Does anybody know offhand a decent way to define a constant if it's not already defined?

--
Jolt is my co-pilot.
  -- Slogan on a giant paper airplane hung in Lobby 7 at MIT.