linux, alot of fonts and slow window startups

Hi,
This is just a general question.
Recently I tried to get my homemade American linux system
to run utf-8. So I changed the required lines in .bashrc
and installed a bunch of fonts (which were suggested in the
various unicode setup tutorials).

Well after installing the fonts, my Perl/Gtk2 windows
seemed to take alot longer to come onto the screen.
Like "a fraction of a second before" to "3 or 4 seconds after".
My Perl/Tk programs were not affected.

What would cause this?

P.S. I backed up before doing this, and I put the old font dirs
back in, so everything is back to normal speed.

http://zentara.net/japh.html