Re: Bug in pixbuf->copy ?

Hi Muppet,

The pixbuf thing appears to be have been a coding mistake on my side - sorry to have wasted your time. A friend of mine spotted it and it seems to me like a loophole in the "strict" pragma.

What I was doing was something like:

   use strict; #!!!

   sub insert_image {
      my ($textbuffer, $file) = @_;
      my $pixbuf = Gtk2::Pixbuf->new_from_file($file) if -f $file and -r _;
$pixbuf ||= Gtk2::Image->new->render_icon('gtk-missing-image', 'dialog')->copy; # ...
   }

Now the trouble was that my "missing image" icons all got to be the same object. What is happening is that $pixbuf although supposed to be locally scoped variable becomes global in the case "-f $file and -r _" evaluates false. Not sure if this works the same in other versions of perl - I'm surprised that I didn't notice this behavior earlier in other programs.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

-- Jaap