Re: Old gtk binaries with new bindings? Or not?

On Apr 8, 2006, at 9:03 AM, A. Pagaltzis wrote:

bear in mind that I don’t actually know what I’m talking about,
I only know the theory. That said:

* Daniel Kasak <dan entropy homelinux org> [2006-04-08 05:30]:
Is it a very bad idea to use bindings compiled against a
current gtk with an earlier version?

Yes. You can use bindings compiled against an old gtk+ binary
with a new gtk+ binary, but not the other way around.

The basic reason is that the bindings have to include real code to support functions in the base library, and the bindings choose which subset of functions to include based on the version of the base library available at compile time.

There's no problem with there being more stuff in the base library than the binding supports (running with newer gtk+ than compiled for), but things get upset if you try to load a program that refers to things that are missing (running with older gtk+ than compiled for).

Note that this really only applies to minor version differences (changes in x.y.z's y); micro versions of the same minor version should be replaceable. That is, you should be able to compile against 2.6.9 and run with 2.6.1 (though the higher versions are usually less buggy).

--
I believe that if music companies are going to set examples they need to do it to appropriate people and not dead people.
  --  Robin Chianumba