Re: Speedup insert into treestore

On Oct 12, 2005, at 9:54 AM, Steven Walter wrote:

Further, since most (all? please advise here) architectures use word-aligned pointers, we can be guaranteed that the lowest bit will always be zero in a valid pointer.

Pedantically, malloc'd pointers are typically double-word-aligned to allow the allocated memory to be used to store any datatype, and SV*s will always be pointers to structures that will need such alignment. You can have non-aligned pointers, e.g. to bytes in a string, but an int that is not aligned is expensive to access. All modern systems i know of return aligned pointers from malloc(), though there is no hard requirement for this. The entire concept of undead references is private to GObject.xs, so if we encounter a situation in which this breaks, we have ways to work around it.

Glib with applied patch passes all tests, as well as all Gtk tests, as well as fixes muppet's indicated test case. Suggestions?

I'm okay with the patch.

--
I like drawing and painting. If you make something really weird, that means "abstract".
  -- Some kid on a PBS kid's show.