case of the missing insert cursor

I'm working with some code that has a input box for typing in which is
created in the following way:

  $entry = Gtk2::TextView->new;
  $entry->set_size_request(100, $client->get('entry_height'));
  $entry->set_wrap_mode('word');
  $entry->set('can-focus', 1);
  $entry->set_editable(1);
  $entry->set_cursor_visible(1);

The entry window comes up fine when it is used, but the insert cursor
(little blinking I ) is not visible.  Any ideas on places or properties that
could be set to make it visible for that entry widget?

        -Sean