Switch a CellRendererCombo's model

Hi all.

I'm having a really, *really* bad performance problem in a treeview that
has a CellRendererCombo with a large model.
The combo should really only display options that are relevant to the
current row anyway.

What I'd like to do is to run some code that replaces the model in the
CellRendererCombo with a fresh one each time a new row is selected, or
when something else happens that would affect the list of options. I
assume I can do this with:

$renderer->set( model   => $new_model );

However this will have the undesired impact of leaving all the other
CellRendererCombos in other rows in the treeview with a model that
doesn't contain the item that they're currently displaying, ie all the
cells will be blank. Is that right? Is there any way around this?

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer