Re: embedded perl/Gtk dialog

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 10:00 -0400, muppet wrote:
On Jul 1, 2005, at 9:43 PM, Carl Nygard wrote:

Reading the file myself and using GladeXML::new_from_buffer() doesn't
cache the widget per-se, I can see changes to the xml file when I
re-run
the script.  But it still pops up under the main app, and
$window->present() does nothing to help.

Any clues?

At this point, i think you need to post code, because the
descriptions don't match up with what should be happening, and the
possibilities of what you might be doing differently than expected
are too numerous.

Unfortunately, it's not really possible/practical to post code, since
the main app is a C++/Zaf/OpenMotif/Gdk::Pixbuf happy bastardization of
an app that's running an embedded perl interpreter to provide script
facilities.

What I do know is that it has nothing to do with GladeXML, since I
rewrote the Dialog wrapper to generate the Gtk::Dialog on the fly from
scratch, and it exhibits the same problem.  And I know the dialog is
getting destroy'd after every embedded script run...

My current guess revolves around the possibility that Gtk::Dialog->new()
does something special to finagle a parent widget, and that parent
widget doesn't have anything to do with the app parent widget (which
would be Xlib/Motif window).  So the window manager gets confused about
what constitutes "front".  Although I have to wonder, if the window
manager thinks its in front after the $window->present() function call,
why does it blink the panel-icon-button-thingy to show that the window
is hidden?

Whatever, I still have some ideas for experiments, so I'll pursue those
in the absence of any other smart ideas from y'all.

Regards,
Carl