Re: simplelist speed - profiling

Dan Espen <dane mk telcordia com> writes:
muppet <scott asofyet org> writes:

On Jan 9, 2005, at 2:38 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Does anyone know the trick to profiling perl code?

what you describe is two different things.

perl -dDProf profiles the subroutine calls of your script.

compiling perl with -pg will profile the actual binary and C-level
calls.

Yep, I understand that.

Then I recompiled Gtk2-1.061 with CCFLAGS=-pg and produced a Gtk2.so.
Then I compiled perl with Configure -Doptimize=-pg and ran my
perlscript
with perl.gprof.  That produced a gmon.out, but gtk never appears
in the output, only the perl module itself, like this:

if glib/gtk+/gdk/Xlib have not been compiled with profiling options,
they won't appear in the profiler output.

I compiled Gtk2.so with the profiling option, but there were no
Gtk functions anywhere in the output.  (I did a caseless search for
gtk.)

Hmm, I probably want libgtk-x11-2.0.so, not the one above.

--
Dan Espen                           E-mail: dane mk telcordia com