Notebook singal connects

I have a notebook object with two pages on it.  I want to generate an
event when a page is selected.  I have tried the following:

    $self->{'notebook'}->signal_connect ('select-page' => sub {
        [do some stuff here]
    });

But nothing happens.  The C API docs state that this is a signal since
"2.4".  I am using Wayne Keenan's distribution on windows which is
only Gtk+ 2.2.4 and Gtk2 1.020.  Does the signal not work because of
the distribution version I am using?  Is there another signal I can
use?

Thanks,

Tyler Hepworth