Re: multiple displays under Win32

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:01:56 -0400 (EDT),Mike Davis wrote:

Running on Linux produces two displays, one with two screens and one with a single screen. Under WinXP it's just one big screen with the geometry being the maximum width/height of all the screens together. Unfortunately for me, my application requires knowledge of the different screen sizes (two are TY-type displays). Is this a problem with Gtk-Perl, Gtk+ or just
the underlying Win32 API?
Does anyone know of a way to get around this or am I stuck with a nasty hard coding exercise? I've had a look through the Gtk list archives and can't seem to find anyone else with a similar problem.

I fiddled with this some time ago in a non-GDK situation. IIRC, what you need to do is to go to the Control Panel/Display Properties and for each non-primary monitor uncheck the "Extend my Windows Desktop Onto this Monitor". Of course, then your windows desktop will not appear on these monitors. That may make this suggestion useless for your other apps, though.

Windows behaves the way it does so that apps don't have to know that there are multiple monitors. That makes things difficult for those that do, though...

--john

--
John McDermott, CCP
Writer, Educator, Consultant