Re: Simple-?? classes

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 19:12, muppet wrote:
On Saturday, March 27, 2004, at 01:30 PM, Carl Nygard wrote:

Speaking of the SimpleList class, I've implemented similar classes for
OptionMenu, ToggleButton, Entry, and SpinButton.  The primary reason
was to implement Tk-esque system for letting the widget keep a
variable updated with the widget state (and vice-versa) in a much
simpler fashion.

bjarne steinsbo wrote something similar a while back:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-perl-list/2004-January/msg00060.html
...  how does it compare to yours?

I looked at the code, a few differences come to mind:

He wraps everything under the sun, in a pretty nifty way.

He does so intrusively, but I think it might be able to be done as a
separate class.

If that's possible, I think a Bind version would also be feasible, at
least for the subset of attributes changeable by the user (ie. Entry
text, Toggle active, Spin value, List selection indices, etc.)

There's no provision for binding arrays, but I guess that's only really
useful AFAIK for the multi-select lists.

I might try the separate class method, because that might be ultimately
much less code involved.  Not sure how it would affect what I need, but
it's got strong possibilities.

Also, if the idea for Gtk2::Simple::* hierarchy is still strong, a
separate Tie class might make those classes much simpler as well.

Regards,
Carl