Re: Multi-language support in gladexml

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 11:58:17 +1000, Chris Debenham - SSA Systems Engineer wrote:
Hopefully a simple question, but one I have no idea about.
How do you create/edit/use a gladexml file that supports multiple
languages?
Basically my app (http://www.adebenham.com/lyricue) is in english only
at the moment but there is some interest in translating it into other
languages.
Is there a proper way to do this? I saw in the gladexml pod reference to
a "translation-domain" but I couldn't find anything about creating these
domains or how to use them?

Any ideas?

The 'translation-domain' is a textdomain for calls to gettext. If you
set it, gettext is called on all translatable strings in the file.

You must look in the *C* level documentation for things like this --
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/libglade/index.html
The translation happens in the libglade library itself, NOT the
bindings.

Oh, all Gtk stock items will be translated automaticaly when you set
LC_MESSAGES or LC_ALL (they must be set by the time gtk_init is
called).

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb ucw cz>