Re: LDTP - Your inputs will drive us

On Jul 14, 2004, at 6:34 PM, Nagappan wrote:

I'm working on a project Linux Desktop Testing Project
(www.gnomebangalore.org/ldtp/index.html).

1) Bonobo based implementation [snip]
2) Using D-BUS [snip]

no experience with either of these, so i'll skip them. so far as i know, there are currently no perl bindings for corba/bonobo stuff that will work with gnome2. (anyone who knows any better, please speak up.)

3) If Python / Perl / Java / Guile / Tcl provides a function like gtk_module_init, then all my problems may be solved :) I can register for the new signal inside my new module written in Python or some other language apart from C. So, I will get a control with the object value inside my registered function. Again, I'm not sure, this function is available in other languages.

um, gtk_module_init() is not part of gtk+'s api and would not be bound by language bindings. gtk_module_init() is a function that is looked for by gtk+ when loading modules. you can specify the modules to load with a command line option that is handled by gtk_init() and gtk_init_check().

with gtk2-perl, you'd just pass the same option, a la "--gtk-modules=foo,bar" to the perl script, and it will automatically be passed down to gtk_init() when the time comes (provided the script doesn't remove it first).

the modules are expected to export this binary symbol and thus are usually written in C or C++. as the module loading happens under the hook of gtk+, it should be usable with any language, as the bindings have no need or means to touch it.

if, instead, you are wanting to write one of these modules in a language using a gtk+ language binding, the solution is going to be that a new binding module would have to be created which binds a generic module bootstrapper to that language.

in the case of perl, it would involve creating a new gtkmodule which embeds a perl interpreter; the interpreter would be bootstrapped by the call to gtk_module_init(). i've never tried something like this, so while it is possible in theory, i cannot verify that it would work.

--
"Ghostbusters" is the best movie of this decade.
  -- Neal, circa 1996, referring to a movie released in 1984.