Re: PerlGTK with GTK module written in C ?

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 20:14:35 -0700, Nagappan wrote:
Hi all,
    I'm new to PyGTK / Perl-GTK / Java-GTK and also to GTK+. I'm doing
an initial study, to write a generic test automation tool, which will
completely test the GNOME based applications.

I have written a GTK module in C (gtk_module_init). PyGTK, PerlGTK,
JavaGTK, GuileGTK, TCL-GTK are already available. What I thought is, why
can't we integrate the different languages like Python, Perl, Java into
our module (Which I have already written it). So that people who knows
Python / Perl / Java can write an external plug-in. Which will be called
at run-time. This may be integrated by using signals (This is only my
assumption).

Steps that I have assumed:
Create new signal inside C module, then emit the signal when required.
The Python / Perl / Java application can connect to the signal and
register a call back. By, the way I also need to pass GObject type to
the call back, which has been passed actually from C module.

Will my assumption work ? First of all my assumption is correct ? Is
there anyway to achieve this goal  (Maybe using some IPC mechanism) ?

All you need to do is to provide proper wrappers for functions in your
module. For perl, it just means to register your new type and provide
appropriate declarations of your functions for the XS compiler. All the
rest, like connecting to signals, wrapping gobjects (provided you use
correct typemap) etc. are already done in the bindings and will just
work.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb ucw cz>