Re: [RFC] Glib::filename_(to|from)_unicode => Glib->filename_(to|from)_unicode?

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 12:45, pcg goof com wrote:

That would be a bug and totally against design principles used in perl
_and_ Gtk2, since it:

- is totally unlike any other perl module, it's unperlish

It's too late for that argument.  *Everything* in gtk2-perl-xs uses that
syntax.

- it is totally unlike the C syntax, and changing the API is
  not a goal of gtk2-perl, now is it?

I fail to see how the arrow syntax is any more different from the C API
than the colon one.

- it's unneeccary slow

We already showed that the speed difference is negligible.

- disallows compile-time-checking (a great minus of the gtk2 API
  over gtk1, don't increase this problem needlessly)
- it's confusing to users

All you ever got from gtk2-perl-xs was a check for the correct number of
arguments.  I think that is what Perl5 programmers expect.  They
certainly don't expect that passing an array (@a = qw(bla bla bla)) to
filename_to_unicode results in an return value of "3".

- it's awkward to use

I fail to understand why "->" is more awkward to type than "::".

If everything in a certain module used one syntax and only two methods
used another one, *that* would be awkward!

Bye,
-Torsten