Re: Some beginner's questions + PAR

Daniel Kasak wrote:
While I'm at it, are there any gotchas ( with Perl GTK2 ) I should be
aware of when moving this stuff to Windows? I'm attemting the initial
development under Linux, but will have to deploy on Windows for now.

Don't underestimate the difficulty of deploying on Windows.  The PAR
module and perl2exe don't work with Gtk2-Perl, and there are a lot of
dependencies, so you're going to have to install quite a bit on the
client machine to get your script to run (thanks to Wayne Keenan there
are binaries - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wayne.keenan/gtk).  The cd
image I made to deploy a small script was 29 MB in size, and it isn't
tolerant to things like already having part of the dependencies
installed in an unexpected place.

There aren't any pre-built Gtk2::GladeXML binaries for Windows; I was
able to build it and get it to "sort-of" work about 6 months ago, but
haven't tried lately.

Maybe somebody on this list can comment on what gtk2-perl does
differently compared with other perl modules that PAR doesn't seem to
like.  I and one other person have posted to the PAR mailing list, but
there were no responses.  See

http://www.mail-archive.com/par perl org/msg01144.html

and

http://www.mail-archive.com/par perl org/msg01188.html