Re: Programatically moving windows between workspaces.

I've got a bunch of programs that start up automatically when I
start
Gnome.  However I'd
like to organize them into my preferred workspaces.  I've been
looking
at Gnome2::Wnck
but don't think I've found exactly what I need.

Really this shouldn't be needed, the window manager/session manager
should take care of all that. But each to his own and all that.

Basically I need to be able to find the windows associated with
specific
programs and then
the API call to move those windows to a particular workspace.  So
far
I've been unable to
track this down.  Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Anyway, take a look at "Devil's Pie" with is a small utility, that
sounds exactly as what you want. And if it doesn't you can steal the
ideas.

There's also a generic program called wmctrl, from
http://sweb.cz/tripie/utils/wmctrl/. And, conveniently enough, a Perl
module which wraps it, called X11::WMCtrl
(http://jodrell.net/projects/x11-wmctrl).

Gavin.

--
Gavin Brown