progressbar

Hi

I have added a progressbar to my window, and I am calling set_fraction
within a subroutine which processes a bunch of report items.  The
progressbar does not update until the subroutine exits.  I am sure there
is something basic I don't understand - could somebody enlighten me
please?

The progressbar is created in the main part of the program :

my $pbar = new Gtk2::ProgessBar

in the subroutine I call

    foreach $value (@indices){
        $counter++;
        $percent = $counter/$number_items;
        print "counter is $counter $percent\n";
        $pbar->set_fraction( $percent );
        $pct = $percent*100;
        $pbar->set_text( "($pct% complete" );

The values are all correct, but no update!!

Thanks
--

Regards

David Sword