Re: windows binary?

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 05:44 PM, Tom Cross wrote:

I've been playing around a bit with perl-GTK2 (love it BTW) and was just handed a project which SCREAMS for perl-GTK2 but on win32. I know there
are plans on releasing win32 binaries with 1.00 release.  I'm just
wondering if there is somewhere I can get a preliminary package to start
testing with?

erm... a technicality: likely not *with* the 1.00 release, but there will be win32 binaries of 1.00.

<call for help>
is there anybody who has experience creating activestate PPM packages from XS modules?
</call for help>

i have had no success creating binary PPM packages of the modules on win32. the last time i tried was a month or two ago, and the results were that i could create a set of PPMs that looked okay but failed to install correctly. i have no idea what was wrong, and haven't had the time to mess with it since.

gavin was looking at making an installer-type binary dist, but the dropline gtk binaries for 2.2.x had lots and lots of symbols that appeared to be compiled in, but missing from the exports list, and therefore not available at link time; this caused some extreme pain and suffering, which caused him to give up. the 2.4.x binaries i grabbed the other day appear to have fixed most of those missing symbols, and have instead a new set. :-( but, anyway, gavin -- interested in having another go at it?

marc told me he had no problem using tml's gtk binaries with stuff straight from gtk2-perl's cvs (i.e., none of the patching i have to do with the dropline binaries). i haven't tried this, mostly because of inertia and lack of time.

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>