Re: RFC: api change for insert-text (Re: Bug report for signal "insert-text")

muppet schrieb:
in light of this, my custom marshaller gives you the values passed in,
and the retrieves the values again after calling the subroutine, and
puts those back in the marshalled values.  since the marshaller gets a
GValue containing the string instead of just a pointer, this means we
can actually alter the length of the string, as well.

The solution you wrote about in another thread allowing both ways of returning a value might be the best. Great (and very perlish) idea!

also, string lengths are useless in perl, so the third argument to the
handler is pointless.  thus, my marshaller *changes* *the* *call*
*signature* of the signal to remove that unused parameter.

Why do you do that? Just leave the argument where it is and noone will complain. Users that don't read Gtk2::api in the first place will not even know that it is special if they do not need the return value mechanism. It just works as in the C-docs.

Thomas