Newbie ? - fail on Gtk2-1.00

My suse 8.2 box produces the following error when I attempt to "perl
Makefile.PL" Gtk2-1.00:

*** can not find package gtk+-2.0 >= 2.0.0
*** check that it is properly installed and available in PKG_CONFIG_PATH
 at Makefile.PL line 62

The files:
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gtk+-2.0.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gtk+-2.0.pc
Both exist, but ExtUtils::PkgConfig seems unable to find it.

I set an environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig/
Without knowing if that was even on the right track, but it didn't work.

Any ideas?  I'd appreciate it.  btw, you guys are doing a great thing
here.

lkilcher