Re: Offtopic: I hate perl installs!

Joe Smith said:
I tried to build the beta - it fails immediately, needing ExtUtils::Depends.

um... don't use the BETA packages from my homepage --- use the released 0.20
ones from sourceforge.

the Glib-Perl package should install ExtUtils::Depends ---- Gtk2-Perl requires
Glib-Perl to be installed first.

I try running CPAN shell, which goes off re-installing itself and  updating
the several DOZENs of modules it depends on.  Since CPAN.pm  requires root
perms, lord only knows what the hell it's doing to my  system.  I finally
panic and kill it as it's running tests on
Archive::tar -- yeesh!

there are ways to configure CPAN to install to your home directory.  i saw it
the other day, i think in the manpage for cpan2rpm, which i was reading to
find out how to package this stuff in rpms.  ;-)  just search google for it.

Can Gtk2-Perl include ExtUtils::Depends, or is an installed
Gtk-Perl-0.7008 a well-known requirement?

it's actually not installed with Gtk-Perl-0.7008, from what i can tell --- all
the modules in the source tree refer to it by hard-coded relative paths.

like i said, it's installed with Glib-Perl, but the debian packages that were
mentioned on the list last week don't include it.  i imagine you didn't
install the Glib-Perl module first.  i'm sorry the error message isn't more
explicit, but i don't know how to trap a failed 'use'.

the README in the toplevel of the unpackaged archives briefly tells you how to
go about making a non-root install.

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>