Gnome2 VTE weirdness?

A few months back muppet kindly helped me get some perl zvt bindings for
gnome2, with the event of Gnome2::Vte been bundled now, i thought i'd try
my hand at intergrating with gnome2:vte, i've had no problems actually
using the widgets.

the problem seems that both gnome-terminal, and perl Gnome2::Vte seem to
mangle the fonts ever so slightly.. it's -very- annoying. I'm wondering if
anyone else has encountered this problem with gnome-terminal, and if they
found a solution for it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.