Re: GtkWindow fails to pass make test

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 13:09, muppet wrote:

are you running OpenMosix?  ross ran across this sort of behavior for gcc when
running an OpenMosix kernel, and the fix was "don't do that".

No.
Linux version 2.4.20-8 (bhcompile stripples devel redhat com)

i've also seen problems with gcc segfaulting while compiling a kernel on my
wife's inspiron laptop --- because the kernel that shipped with her distro
didn't include support for the machine's fan.  the annoying thing is that the
compile would cause the machine to overheat and miscompile things until it
just locked up.  (the hi-tech fix was to compile with the laptop suspended
over the A/C vent.)

in other words, if you're having GCC segfaults and seeing test errors that say
they shouldn't happen, i can't really trust that you're getting an
accurately-compiled Gtk2.so.

gcc (GCC) 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)
I'm running on an AMD K6, 450 Mhz, 256MB.  It feels more like a memory
leak than anything else, since it only happens on huge compiles (e.g.,
the gimp), and everything works if I say, for example, make; make; make;

I haven't noticed this being reported snywhere else, and certainly my
big compiles seem to work fine once they finish.

Solidly repeatable.  All the remaining tests were successful.

i am guessing the perl tests are dying in the same place because the compiled
code is broken in the same spot.  if you recompile and relink everything, do
you get the same results?  (i know it takes forever to compile, i
apologize...)

I think Ross may have spotted the problem.  We'll see.

--
Jeff