Re: newbie question

Thanks, all. The patch worked but didn't fix the xs problem. Gtk-Perl-0.7009 did
work and fixed the xz problem.
And, thanks all on the gtk2 tip. I'm not developing, just using.
Cheers,
Tuck Hartshorn

Carl Hartshorn writes:
 > > I'm assuming you're talking about Gtk-Perl-0.700[89]. This version
 > > uses gtk-1.2, and the associated Gnome. A command like:
 > >
 > > deperdo Gtk-Perl-0.7008 # perl Makefile.PL --without-gtkhtml
 > --without-gtkxmhtml --without-gnome --without-gnomeprint --without-applets
 > >
 > > should be all that you need to to build a Gnome-free makefile.
 > >

 > That's what I thought, too but I get:
 > lots of:
 > cc: xs/GtkRadioMenuItem.o: No such file or directory
 > cc: xs/GtkEditable.o: No such file or directory
 > cc: xs/GtkInvisible.o: No such file or directory
 > cc: xs/GtkWidget.o: No such file or directory

Oops! Yeah, Gtk-Perl-0.7008 is wonky. I use the attached patch to fix
this, and I think Gtk-Perl-0.7009 fixes this.

 > >  > I do have a fully functional gnome2.2 installation but it appears to
be
 > >  > unrecognized. E.G. gnome-config no longers exists.
 > >  >
 > >  > Is there a way to build without gnome1?
 > >  >
 > >  > I see a newer version called gtk2-perl but I dont know if that is
 > complatible
 > >  > with gtk-perl (or gnome2.2 for that matter).
 > >
 > > gtk2-perl is where all the action is now. It uses gtk-2.2, and has
 > > basic support for Gnome2. Support might be more robust, but I'm
 > > anti-Gnome, so I dont pay much attention. You'll want to get the
 > > latest packages from the SF project page (dated 2003-08-07):
 > >
 > Is this downward compatible with gtl-perl?
 > TIA

Nope. The rare script might run with only changing the "use Gtk;"
line...