Re: perl for gtk+ 2.0

Anders Åhsman wrote:

Hello!

Is there a perl module for gtk+ 2?
I searched around but only found versions for gtk+ 1.
Hi all,

I have been looking too but nobody has done it yet :( There have been some
questions on this list and I am sure that it would be _very_ welcome.

This is what I have learnt:

Nathan Mueller <nmueller cs wisc edu> has written a script that generates
XS files from the gtk-2.0 header files. He calls the script a
'uber-h2xs for generating Gtk source files' and it works remarkably
well. The XS files don't build yet and there are still many things to do
but I reckon that it would provide the basic XS files. He has a web page
but I have lost the  URL - search for 'gtkperl-2.0.tar.gz' on Google?

I got it to build Gtk::AccelLabel - with a warning - but I got stuck
trying to get AccelMap built as there are some wierd problems when you
need to pass functions as args.

I guess that the most sensible approach would be to add another submodule
to Gtk-Perl called 'Gtk2' that would be built if the test condition
`pkg-config --version gtk-2.0` returns a version number.
Then you could write eg:
  use Gtk2;
  my $window = new Gtk2::Window;

The tricky stuff (for me) is tying together the automatic enum builder, the
definitions, documentation generator but particularly typemaps etc.

I have not heard from Lupus (Paolo Molaro the Gtk-Perl maintainer) for
quite some time so I guess that he is busy working on other things.

I don't know enough about XS/C to make much progress myself - and I don't
have time to learn and develop it but I am happy to help with testing and
debugging if anyone wants to help the community.

Regards, Dermot