displaying icons in gnome distribution

HI

I tried to display some icons from the gnome distribution
using gdkpixbuf. Most of them display well, but for some
I could not get the clipmask right. First I thought it
was an error in my code, but I couldn't find the bug. Then
I opened one icon in xv and saw this:

www.xs4all.nl/~josvanr/gnome-gimp.xp

which is in the directory

 /usr/X11R6/share/icons/xpm/hicolor/48x48/apps

Does anyone know what is the story with these icons? It is
pretty inconvenient that the clip mask doesn't seem to match
the actual image, and they are used in for instance .desktop
files. When I use these, I can't get the image to display
correctly.

jos