Re: Problem compiling glib

--- On Fri, 4/5/13, Chris Fisichella <chris communityrenewables com> wrote:

From: Chris Fisichella <chris communityrenewables com>
Subject: Re: Problem compiling glib
To: "Patrick Welche" <prlw1 cam ac uk>
Cc: "Sergei Steshenko" <sergstesh yahoo com>, gtk-list gnome org
Date: Friday, April 5, 2013, 4:49 AM

Patrick Welche <prlw1 cam ac uk>:

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 11:04:02AM -0700, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
Interestingly enough my self-built 'xmllint' which is a part of
libxml2-2.9.0 doesn't at all show dependency on 'readline':

Indeed - my xmllint also doesn't depend on readline. I looked on an ubuntu
system and found that there it did, so the original bug report made
more sense...

Cheers,

Patrick

Thanks for the debugging help. I noticed how Sergei has libraries in other places besides /usr/local.

I am not familiar -rpath you mentioned earlier. Where can I find information about that?

I am going to try to recompile the dependencies a little more methodically. I'll include a build of libxml2.
When I install either dbus or readline I find gdm breaks. I'll keep an eye out for locating libraries in
other places and see how I can use that.

Thanks,
Chris

On 'rpath' - you need to carefully read 'man ld', possibly online:
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/ld.so.8.html .

I do not use 'rpath' explicitly, i.e. I leave it to 'configure' to decide.

Do not install anything into system locations. I am building a lot of stuff as non-root user using my own
AppsFromScratch.

FWIW, see attached autogenerated by AppsFromScratch 'config_wrapper.sh' used by my tool to run 'configure' of
libxml2-2.9.0. You can figure out dependencies and other stuff (e.g. PKG_CONFIG_PATH settings) needed to
build libxml2-2.9.0.

Also attached 'config_wrapper.sh' for glib-2.34.3 - it's trivial to understand which file is related to which
library from the contents.

Regards,
  Sergei.