Re: g_io_channel_win32_new_fd()

> Curiously, this seems to work even if I link to the lib
> that comes with MSVC8

Note that the msvcrt.lib import libraries in newer Microsoft compilers
than MSVC6 confusingly don't link to msvcrt.dll, but the
compiler-specific DLLs like msvcr71.dll, msvcr80.dll, msvcr90.dll.

> Up until that point though, I hadn't been able to make any Debug version
> work at all, no matter which DLL and LIB I linked to.  The interesting thing
> is after successfully building the Release version, my Debug builds are now
> also working and no longer giving me the NULL return value!?!

Well, this "Debug" vs. "Release" thing is in my opinion a smokescreen
presented by Visual Studio, it really makes it hard to understand what
is *really* going on...

It's important to know how to use link -dump -imports foo.exe from the
command line to see what DLLs an exe (or a dll) *really* uses.

--tml