Global hotkey

Hello all,

I'm wondering if GTK+ provides any facilities for global hotkeys or key-bindings. By global I Mean for the entire desktop, not just a window or application. Specifically, I have a panel-applet I'd like to activate with a keyboard shortcut, much like Tomboy or Deskbar. Though I have looked at the source for both of those projects, I haven't found it helpful as my applet is written in C and I have ~0 C#/mono experience.

I've also tried the gtk_binding api, but it seems to work at the window level (or maybe I'm just using it wrong).  Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
axel.