Re: GTK+ and Pango - How to use chinese, Korean, Japanese fonts?

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 19:58 +0530, Harinandan S wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I read in the documentation that Pango is used for internationalized
> text handling. Is there any example which i can refer to using
> Chinese, Korean, Japanese fonts in GTK+ application. I understand
> English but not any of the above languages so is there any way in
> which pango can translate it into other languages from english?

Pango is not for translation. Pango is to "layout" text given to it, and
it happens to support a wide (vast!) variety of languages, alphabets
etc. Generally, if you use GTK, Pango is "under the hood", doing things
like generating on-screen rendering of the text in buttons and just
about every other widget.

For translation, you want gettext, which is very widely used by the open
source software community.