Controlling resizing....

A couple of questions.....

I have a GtkExpander containing a fairly large child. I have a GtkMenuBar above the expander (positionally, not hierarchically), and a GtkTreeView below it.

Ideally, I'd like the behavior to be the following:

When the expander is collapsed, the GtkTreeView should jump higher on the screen (to the extent possible given the widgets still existing in the same hbox as the expander), and anything to the right of the expander (including the edge of the top-level window) should jump leftwards.

What actually happens:

The GtkTreeView stays right where it is, and the GtkMenuBar suddenly becomes vertically enormous. While widgets to the right of the expander do move left, the size of the top-level window does not shrink, leaving a big empty area on the right.

Any ideas how I can fix this?