Re: GTK+ 2.10.7 released

Richard Boaz writes:
 > some two years ago i asked about compiling static exe's to solve
 > the obvious distribution problem here, and the answer i got was
 > that this was not a good idea. In fact, after having put some
 > effort into it, I've concluded it's not possible (seems that the
 > gtk+ powers-that-be have decided that since it's not a good idea,
 > it shouldn't be made possible, or am I wrong here?).

Anything is possible with enough resources for the work. I can only
talk for myself (I am "maintaining" GTK+ for the Windows platform in my
"copious spare time"), but I assume it holds for others, too: The
current GTK+ maintainers don't feel it's a good use of their limited
resources to work on niche features that would benefit a relatively
small part of the user population.

On the other hand, to immediately contradict myself: Exactly because I
hack on GTK+ in my spare time just for fun, I do occasionally hack on
things that many might consider niche features or fix niche bugs,
while ignoring long-standing bug reports...

If you feel strongly for a feature like static linking (on Windows?),
by all means, start hacking on it, and cooperate: submit patches to
bugzilla, discuss on an appropriate mailing list, try to see the big
picture while trying to get your points across. I am sure nobody will
object to such changes just out of a desire to be mean, especially if
you give even half a promise that you will keep supporting the feature
once it has gone in.

Please note that nobody wants to prevent new people from becoming GTK+
developers. Quite the contrary. But being rude and obnoxious is not
the best way to make people want to cooperate with you. (I don't mean
that you Richard are like that.)

--tml