Re: GTK Widgets drawing an undesired background

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:02:02 -0400 (EDT)
Lovelace Luquette <luquette bu edu> wrote:

>I've currently got a GTK theme engine which (rather uselessly) overrides
>every one of the draw_* functions from GtkStyleClass with functions that
>do nothing.
>However, certain widgets are still managing to draw backgrounds; for
>example, the menu bar, any menus spawned from it and toolbars are all
>drawing solid black backgrounds.

>  Are there any ways to get around it?
>Joe Luquette

I normally do Perl/Gtk2, and I "think" I understand your question,
which I just asked on the Perl/Gtk2 list....... "how to override ~.gtkrc-2.0"

In Perl, the problem was I could override the window bg pixmap or color,
but it wouldn't work for buttons.  It's a mess to figure out which widget
can have it's theme overridden, and which won't allow it.

ANYWAYS...... in Perl, we can set the ENV variable  GTK2_RC_FILES
right in the script, before Gtk2 init is called.

I'm not sure how to do that in c, but as a start you can use a wrapper
script to set the gtkrc-2.0 file to an "empty" file or a theme suitable
for your app.

That is the only sure-fire way I've found to override default theme settings.

#!/bin/sh
# possibly point to an empty rc file for full control from the program
export GTK2_RC_FILES='/usr/local/share/themes/Bumblebee/gtk-2.0/gtkrc'
./myapp_w-custom-rc

Like I said, in Perl we can set

use Gtk2;
$ENV{GTK2_RC_FILES}= 'somepath_to_a_custom_rc_file';
Gtk2->init;

Maybe someone would know how to do this with envv[] in c.

zentara

http://zentara.net/japh.html