Re: implementing a delayed "busy" cursor

paul davis wrote:
 > On Sun, 2007-08-05 at 11:20 -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
 > > hi --
 > >
 > > i want the mouse cursor in my app to only switch to "busy" after
 > > a brief delay (perhaps 1 second).  i have an implementation that
 > > works in some places, but not others, and i'm wondering if
 > > there's a better/safer way.
 >
 > >        if (newcursor == CURSOR_BUSY_WITH_DELAY) {
 > >           signal(SIGALRM, busy_cursor_handler);
 > >           alarm(1);
 >
 > this is unsafe coding. POSIX signal handlers should do almost nothing,
 > and they should certainly not call GTK functions.
 >
 > investigate the use of timeouts within GTK itself, which are *much*
 > better suited for this purpose.

okay, thanks -- that confirms my suspicions (and results :-).
will these timeouts (can you point me at an API function i can
search for?) work asynchronously to the main event loop?

paul
 paul fox, pgf foxharp boston ma us (arlington, ma, where it's 72.9 degrees)