Re: possible bug in 'configure' of gtk+-2.8.20

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:45:39 +0200, David =?iso-8859-2?B?TmXoYXMgKFlldGkp?= said:

> AFAIK it checks only whether -lXrender makes function
> XRenderQueryExtension available and does not check for any
> Xrender header file at all.

Bad! Bad configure script! No cookie! :)

> In other words it doesn't anticipate modular Xorg where
> Xrender is a separate library (like everything else) and
> it's possible to have any combination of the libraries and
> header files installed.  For example on Fedora one would get
> to this situation by installing libXrender but not
> libXrender-devel (although this is not possible without
> removal of lots of other Gtk+ dependencies therefore
> configure would not pass there).

'rpm -e --nodeps' is a wonderful way to trash dependencies. :)

> IMO it should test the presence of header files for each
> extension it needs and I suggest to report it as a bug (if
> it isn't in bugzilla already).

Yes, it should indeed be checking for at least one unique .h file
for each extension or shared library it has as a pre-req.  All too many
people get toasted by some variant of "didn't install libFOO-devel rpm".