jpeg and gtk

    Well I ran configure with jpeg, the jpeg library that is recommended
with gtk with the --x-includes and --x-libraries switches. It runs smoothly.
I run make and it runs smoothly. Make install will not work. So I manually
moved libjpeg.a to /usr/local/lib and ran ldconfig. pkg-config doesn't pick
it up and I can find no .pc files so why would it.
    I manually used install -D to copy all the binaries and man page to
usr/local/bin and share/man this work great. So I can run the manpage and
the binaries are usable. I copied  all the header files into
/usr/local/include. I set base_dependencies_cflags and
base_dependencies_libs (all caps of course) in my .bash_profile script and
exported them. Then ran sh .bash_profile. Gtk's configure picked up the env
variables. But it is still saying no jpeg.h or some header file isn't
available in usr/local/include. I tried configure with --without-libjpeg
again and a makefile was made perfectly and when I ran make I still run into
that same problem as shown in make.log.

Bill