gtk trouble

    I'm really getting it down now. I have the X7 release installed. X has
went modular so I needed to get the updated version. Everything compiled and
installed great. Until I got to gtk. Now I guess this includes gimp because
it's gtk+. The cfg.log file is what I get when I don't use
the --without-libjpeg switch. When I do use that switch the make.log file is
as far as I can get. Reading this gives me the impression I may have an old
libtool. Is that what it is?
    I installed GNU's newest libtool into usr/local and it doesn't work. I
already know what happens when the system's default libtool is messed around
with. Bad things. Anyone have any tips as to what I need or should do to get
gtk to compile so I can use firefox and maybe even gnome?

Bill