Re: environment variables

--- Bill Cunningham <billcu1 verizon net> wrote:

>     Sergei,
>
> I'm sorry Sergei I read your txt file and looked at bash tutorials and tried
> different things like bypassing pkg-config. I just don't know how to use
> these variables with configure. Everything I do doesn't work out. I know how
> to use them with make for example.

This is what ./configure --help shows:

"
[30] 6:47 sergei comp home net:/AppsFromScratchWD/build/gtk+-2.8.20> ./configure --help | tail -25
                          path to xml catalog to use

Some influential environment variables:
  CC          C compiler command
  CFLAGS      C compiler flags
  LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
              nonstandard directory <lib dir>
  CPPFLAGS    C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if you have
              headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
  CPP         C preprocessor
  CXX         C++ compiler command
  CXXFLAGS    C++ compiler flags
  CXXCPP      C++ preprocessor
  F77         Fortran 77 compiler command
  FFLAGS      Fortran 77 compiler flags
  PKG_CONFIG  path to pkg-config utility
  BASE_DEPENDENCIES_CFLAGS
              C compiler flags for BASE_DEPENDENCIES, overriding pkg-config
  BASE_DEPENDENCIES_LIBS
              linker flags for BASE_DEPENDENCIES, overriding pkg-config

Use these variables to override the choices made by `configure' or to help
it to find libraries and programs with nonstandard names/locations.

Report bugs to <http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gtk%2B>.
[31] 6:47 sergei comp home net:/AppsFromScratchWD/build/gtk+-2.8.20>
".

What is particularly unclear about:
"
  LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
              nonstandard directory <lib dir>
  CPPFLAGS    C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if you have
              headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
"

- this was sufficient for me to implement the code which sets CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS
automatically, and the log file (http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/build.first_run.log.txt)
shows a lot of examples how CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS are set.

> make CFLAGS='-g -O2' that has worked for me with packages before but not
> with configure.
>
> Also I don't parallel build in a build directory. I just run the compiler
> and assembler linker and all in the source directory. I've never seen a
> reason to use a separate build directory except with newer versions of glibc
> when it's necessary.
>
> Bill

--Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/