Re: GTK+ windows installer confusion

gtk-2.6.9 does not use cairo, so if you want cairo you are out of
luck. Also, gnet doesn't work with gtk-2.6 on Windows. When I realized
this about a year ago, I stopped using gaim under Windows.

I'm compiling several applications of my own on Windows that I am
releasing with instructions to first install the latest gtk-win32
runtime enviroment from gimp-win.sourceforge.net. Unfortunately
gimp-win does not provide development package (include files), so I
got these from Tor's site. Even though the versions were not exactly
the same, the compilation and the deployment works just find for me.

I'd be happy to provide make files (actually SConstruct files), and
the NSIS file, that works for me, if there is any interest. There are
some subtleties, e.g. that I need to install iconv.dll and intl.dll in
the intsallation directory, as otherwise the application crashes if
ActiveState TCL is installed...

Regards,
Dov

On 05 Sep 2006 18:30:10 -0400, John D. Ramsdell <ramsdell mitre org> wrote:
"Timothy M. Shead" <tshead k-3d com> writes:

> ...  My impression from this list is that the official
> recommendation is for applications to each include their own copy of
> the GTK binaries and not rely on a shared GTK installation.

Or rather, let GAIM be the only user of the shared installation of
GTK+.  I installed GAIM 1.5.0, which installs GTK+ 2.6.9.  It worked
fine.  I then installed GTK+ 2.8.18, and my application, and my
application worked fine, but attempts to connect with GAIM failed.  I
tried GAIM 2.0.0 beta 3, but it too only works with its GTK+
installation, and not GTK+ 2.8.18.  I guess I have to change my
installer.

John