GTK Errors: Xft Pango backend is required for x11 target

Hi,
   I am trying to build xwindows, gtk.

    I have installed xlibs from cvs.freedesktop.org, xserver from
pdx.freedesktop.org.

I have installed the following packages:
     xlibs
     zlib
     glib
     pango
     atk
     tiff
     libpng
     libjpeg

My GTK is getting  Xft Pango backend is required for x11 target error.

I have Render and NOT XRender. What is the difference between the two.
and how do i solve my compilation problem of gtk.

please advice.

Regards,
John.

checking whether to build gmodulized gdk-pixbuf... yes
checking whether dynamic modules work... yes
checking for TIFFReadScanline in -ltiff... yes
checking tiffio.h usability... yes
checking tiffio.h presence... yes
checking for tiffio.h... yes
checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress in -ljpeg... yes
checking for jpeglib.h... yes
checking for jpeg_simple_progression in -ljpeg... yes
checking for libpng12... yes
checking pixbuf loaders to build...
checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes
checking return type of signal handlers... (cached) void
checking for x86 platform... no
checking for gdk-pixbuf-csource... /usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-csource
checking for freetype-config... /usr/bin/freetype-config
configure: error: Xft Pango backend is required for x11 target