problems installing pango...

Hi,

I am trying to install GTK+ as is needed to install the Gaim application (chat client) in my pc. Since Pango (1.8.0) is needed for gtk+, I donwloaded it and I have tried several times to install it and could not get the 'configure' script to finish without error. The following error is what I get (copied from config.log):

| #include <X11/Intrinsic.h>
configure:19924: result: no
configure:21094: WARNING: X development libraries not found
configure:21130: checking for pkg-config
configure:21148: found /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
configure:21161: result: /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
configure:21178: checking for fontconfig >= 1.0.1
configure:21457: WARNING: No fontconfig found, skipping tests for FreeType and Xft
configure:21519: error: *** Didn't find any of FreeType, X11, or Win32.
*** Must have at least one backend to build Pango.

First of all, I am not sure if the missing Intrinsic.h file the cause of the error listed aftwerwards or not. I don't understand what the message means by '...Must have at least one backend to build Pango.'

I have a debian distro (woody) with X server running, the X font server is also running (xfs).

I tried to get info from the Pango web site but could not find any, or understand it :)

I was able to install Glib and atk without problems.

Can someone help?

Thanks,

Mario.