Plotting, text drawing, etc.

Ok, dumb question #2.  Is there a package that will let me do basic
plotting within a GTK window?  I found one called GtkPlot, but it only
seems to link with GTK 1.x, and I can't find any documentation at all for
it.

If not, where can I look for information on doing graphics text?  I have a
lot of miscellaneous routines around that I could adapt, except that I
can't figure out how to draw text at a specific size & angle, as would be
needed for e.g. axis labels.

Thanks,
James