Installing GLIB

I am currently attempting to install GLIB 1.2.6 on my linux box, and I
seem to be having some trouble.  I unserstand GLIb 1.2.1 was included in
my Rehat 6.0 package, but it doesn't seem to do for the GTK version I am
also trying to install.  I went through all the steps of installation
for GLIB 1.2.6 and then when I ran ./configure for GTK, it mentioned
that my system is still identifying with the older version of GLIB.. How
do I go about re-routing (if you will) the system so it is pointed
towards the newly installed version of GLIB rather than the older one.

Thsnk you in advance for your quick response.
Shawn
Y-Phish@Home.Com