Re: [gtk-list] Re: ResizeEvent?

On Tue, 06 Jul 1999, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Eric Meek wrote:
> > Hello folks. I'm pretty new to Gtk, and I was wondering if there was an event
> > similar to Qt's ResizeEvent?  I can't seem to find one, but am probably not
> > looking hard enough. Thanks.
> >

> We don't know what ResizeEvent is. :-)
>
> You might look at the second sample chapter for my book, at
> http://pobox.com/~hp/gnome-app-devel.html
>
> It goes over most of the interesting events. I'm guessing that ResizeEvent
> is a configure event (but configure events only happen on toplevel windows
> and drawing areas, basically). For widgets in general you'd use
> size_allocate which isn't an event at all, it's a signal. The sample
> chapters yammer about this distinction some too.
>
> HTH,
> Havoc

I apologize about my non-explanation. The Moment of Enlightenment hit me only 2
seconds after I pressed Send. The resizevent is sent whenever a window changes
sizes. I would have a callback connected to the event that would make sure the
geometry of objects would stay the way I wanted them. i.e. If I wanted an
object in the bottom half of the window to stay 1/3 the size of the top, then
that function would take care of that whenever the window was resized. I'll
check out the two suggestions, and let you know if I find what I'm looking
for. Thanks a bunch!

Eric