GTK themes ( without GNOME control center )

Hi,

I'm trying to create/use a GTK theme. At home I have RH 6.0 with GNOME
and the control center takes care of setting/installing/making available
the theme. However. at home I'm using RH 5.1 with GTK 1.2.x, but without
GNOME. I dont have time to install/compile/track the GNOME dependencies,
however I'd like to be able to use themes in that machine.
I went to gtk.themes.org, and although the maintainer says there that he
doen't use the GNOME control center, doesn't explain how to ( he says
the control center takes care of everything ).

Could somebody point me to a document or explain how to tell GTK to use
a particular theme ? I assume that I have to set up/modify the ~/.gtkrc
file as GNOME does, but then I'm not able to make GTK recognize the
modification.

Thanks in advance

Hugo

--