Implementing "modeless" dialogs as in Photoshop

I am interested in creating an application that has the same style as
Adobe Photoshop where there is a large main area, and multiple
palettes (modeless dialogs) within that area.   When I iconify the
application,
all of the palettes should be iconified as well.

Is this possible with GTK?  I created a main toplevel window and then
a dialog and popup window.  When I iconify the main window, both the
dialog window and the popup stay up.

If anyone can point me to an application that exhibits this behavior
and can study the source that would be great.

Thanks

-Moe

kindly cc: me at moe@home.com